Anthemis cultivates change in the financial system by building, growing, and sustaining businesses committed to improving the world. Our deep understanding of markets and models, passion for emerging technology and spirit of collaboration inspire everything we do. By creating fertile ground for entrepreneurs, institutions, researchers, academics, and visionaries to come together, we believe we can solve the financial services world’s most pressing challenges faster, better and for the benefit of all.
About the role
We are seeking a US-based Investment Associate to join the Anthemis Venture Fund investment team (our flagship early stage fund). The Investment Associate will work in collaboration with the investment team and have responsibilities in all aspects of deal sourcing, diligence, deal execution and portfolio management.The focus will encompass fintech, embedded finance, and contextual finance opportunities in the financial services and adjacent sectors, in line with the primary thesis of Anthemis Group.
Responsibilities will include:
- Develop a robust pipeline of early stage deal flow and ecosystem connectivity (founders, investors, industry players, etc.)
- Analyze early stage technology companies, including market sizing, technology assessment, business model, competitive positioning, regulatory and execution risks, and reviews of founding teams.
- Research and track relevant opportunities and developments across the financial services industry, including new technologies, business models, and trends that inform the investment thesis.
- Conduct due diligence and prepare internal documentation to support the investment decision-making process. This requires forming a deep understanding of the company and market, as well as the specific deal mechanics.
- Track, manage, and update deal flow in Anthemis investment databases, and prepare periodic deal flow reports.
- Assist in the monitoring and supporting of portfolio companies.
– Prepare periodic internal reports on portfolio performance and conduct valuation exercises.
- Develop deep relationships within the fintech and venture capital ecosystems.
– Participate in relevant industry conferences and events.
– Pursue projects that extend the Anthemis reach, including organizing founder / investor meet-ups, publishing articles, appearing on podcasts and other media.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience within financial services preferably in venture capital. Alternatively, similar experience playing a key role in a technology startup related to Anthemis’ investment thesis.
- Demonstrable understanding of, and interest in, financial services and technology.
- Intimate understanding of the underlying mechanics of venture capital investing.
- Strong interpersonal, writing, technical and presentation skills, with strong comfort sharing and supporting opinions and positions.
- Advanced financial analysis skills and complete comfort with financial modelling exercises in a fast-moving environment.
- Enthusiasm for working with ambitious entrepreneurs and an ability to foster creativity, communication and synergies between partners and companies.
- High degree of integrity, intellectual curiosity and team-orientation.
- Ability to work and thrive in diverse and dynamic environments.
- Appropriate US work permit.